Wednesday, December 7, 2016

From LAUSD to the Charter World

What's up with leaving LAUSD after 12 years to become a leader in the charter world?

The reason is simple: I wasn't allowed to lead in LAUSD.
Despite degrees, awards, and a solid professional reputation, I did not have the one year of out-of-classroom experience needed to lead at a district school.

So why not just get the year? Why not be a dean or coordinator and work my way up?

As a social studies teacher, my experience, skill set, and personal interests weren't setting me up for the kinds of jobs that were available - jobs that relied heavily on expertise with EL, special education,  testing, or behavioral issues.

I spoke with a central district leader about my situation, asking them whether there was any opportunity for me to lead. I informed this person that Teach for America and charter organizations had previously recruited me for out-of-the-classroom positions and administrator-in-training programs, but that I was committed to a career with LAUSD. This person recommended that I get my experience wherever it was being offered.

So, I resigned from LAUSD and went to organizations that allowed me to grow.

LAUSD has lots of talented teachers who've dedicated over a decade to the classroom, who are now seeking to contribute to the field in a different way. It's a shame that the district has been unable to systematically identify and invest in this talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment