Thursday, May 27, 2010

Reconnecting with the Past

I was just visited by one of my former students, who should've graduated in 2008 but has yet to complete his high school education. He just needs to finish one class and he'll be done, but he doesn't seem motivated to do so.

His visit made me think about all of my former students - some are still struggling to find a direction, others have finally found their way. I recently reconnected with two former students on facebook. Both were bright in high school, but didn't have the best grades or motivation when I was their teacher. Now, one of them is at USC and the other at UCLA. It's so rewarding to see students thrive, and it reminds me not to give up on any of them.

Some of my kids are stubborn little seedlings, who need extra time and nourishment to develop into amazing wonders. But they can, and it's my job to remind myself and them of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment